Saturday 30 March 2013

Schick Intuition Pure Nourishment Razor Review

So recently I received the Schick Intuition Pure Nourishment Razor from a Feisty Frugal and Fabulous Contest.  I always wanted to try these razors, but previously never bought them because I could get other razors for much cheaper, especially with sales and coupons.  I haven't seen any coupons for the Schick Intuition, however that doesn't mean they're not available.

In the package I received the Intuition handle, two razors cartridges, a suction cup holder and a guard for the razor.

According to Walmart.ca, the various razors from the Intuition line are $10.12 each and the 3pk replacement cartridges are $11.46 and the 6pk cartridges are $20.98.  I believe they are also available at Costco, but I haven't come across them.

There are different colour handles and different scents.  The handles are interchangeable with the various Skin Conditioning Solids.  This allows you to try out different Skin Conditioning Solids to find the right one for you.  In the package that I received, the scent is called Coconut Milk and Almond Oil.  I can be rather sensitive to some scents, so I was very pleased that this one had a light scent.

Schick's website states "Intuition is the only razor that lathers and moisturizes during shaving. No need for shave gel, soap or body wash. Just add water."

I have tried and used a number of different razors.  I've used regular disposable razors and honestly I just can't stand them.  I find that even on the very first shave they're dull and they scrape, scratch and give me razor burn no matter how much shave gel I use.  After many attempts with many different brands, I moved on to the razors with cartridges.  My favourite razor for the longest time was actually the Gillette Mach3, then the Gillette Fusion ProGlide.  Yes, I am fully aware these are "male" razors, however they gave me the most comfortable, nick free shaves.  I also tried the "men's" Schick Hydro, and I didn't really care for it.  I have since tried the Schick  Hydro Silk razor for women and recently I've been using that as my favourite razor.

My first impression of the Schick Intuition, was that the handle is so large that it just had to be uncomfortable to hold and shave.  However, the razor as a whole is very light and surprisingly comfortable in my hands.  I always shave in the shower, so I did not have to change my routine.  I made sure to wet the solid around the razor and it softened nicely, but did not melt away easily.  I was a little worried at first using this on my underarms, however it glided smoothly and easily and got rid of the very short growth with no problems.  

After using it on my underarms, I made very quick work of my legs.  Not having to take that extra step of adding shaving cream certainly made shaving much quicker.  I had no problems with the razor causing bumps or nicks and I felt very comfortable while using it.  I don't have very thick body hair and just a quick shave was enough to make my legs smooth.

For you ladies that like to either keep your bikini area trimmed or smooth and might be curious, I actually did use it on my bikini area.  It had been a while since I'd trimmed that area and I was rather concerned that the solid would not moisturize enough, however it did work okay.  Obviously it's a rather large razor, so I was very careful.  I didn't shave completely bare with the first attempt because I'm prone to razor burn in that area, especially if I haven't trimmed in a while.  I did not have any bumps or razor burn, and the area did not feel dry or sensitive afterwards.

Overall, I feel that the razor on a whole works quite well.  My skin felt soft and smooth afterwards and I have no problems at all.  I have since used the razor a few times, and the solid is slowly disappearing.  I have used it at total of 5 times now, including using it on my bikini area, and there is still some solid left.  I do have to note that it does seem to be getting to the point where it is not as comfortable or smooth to shave as the previous shaves.  It appears that the front part of the solid wears out faster than the back, at least that was my experience.  Maybe I was putting too much pressure on the front and not distributing the pressure evenly enough, I might get one, maybe two more quick shaves out of this solid before I have to move on to the next.

I also have to say that while I liked the suction cup at first, I find it dings your solid on the sides and unless I'm mistaken there is no way to cover up the blade with the cover while it's in the holder.  I don't any small children that can cut themselves, but others might unless they put it far out of reach.  I also had an unwelcome surprise this morning with the whole thing falling off my shower wall randomly this morning.  I'm on a bus route, so maybe the vibrations of the buses and cars going by daily made it pop off, but either way it was not fun to wake up to a loud bang right of deep sleep.  It was kind of funny though, as the cartridge popped out of the handle and I had to do a hunt for it in between my product bottles and such.  A quick search for it was done before I went back to bed and I didn't find it.  I ended up finding it later when I was actually more awake, but I think I'll just put the cover on it next time.

So, if you're still with me, I would recommend this product for those that want a quick, easy and gentle shave if you don't mind spending the extra money.  I usually get my shaving cream for $2.00 or less and right now I have a small but comfortable stockpile of it.  One can also lasts a really, really long time.  I also have a bunch of Schick Hydro Silk razors I got on sale and used a coupon, so I am set for those for some time.  I also don't really count, but I'm sure I get more than 7 shaves out of one cartridge for the Hydro Silk.  Perhaps if they came out with some coupons, or if you could get them even cheaper in bulk at Costco I might be more inclined, but for me my frugal nature outweighs the maybe 2 or 3 minutes extra I'd spend in the shower using shaving cream.

Let me know what you think and if you've tried the Intuition razor before.  What's your favourite razor and why?


Creative Commons License
Canadian Money Makers and Savers is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on work at http://moneymakersandsavers.blogspot.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and will try to respond to all comments!